Sunday 24 August 2008

You Don't Mess With The Zohan! Review

I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to Adam 'Happy Gilmore' Sandler. I bemoan the existence of Adam 'Mr.Deeds' Sandler at every given moment when I actually enjoy a lot of his films and I quite like the man himslf. He has a certain retarded charm, so much so that I think he might be an actual retard so therefore I can't dislike him too much in case the PC brigade takes away my soul. (At the moment they're not too happy about me using the word retard so I best play safe.) But the problem with 'quite liking' Adam 'Wedding Singer' Sandler is I had high expectations for Zohan and ended up... disappointed. Disappointed by Adam 'Little Nicky' Sandler, what a tragic state to be in.

Coming off like a rejected idea by Eric Cartmans' Awesome-O 4000 (Adam Sandler is like, in love with some girl, but then it turns out that the girl is actually a ...golden retriever, or something. We'll call it Puppy Love!) Zohan is An Israeli Special Forces Agent who dreams of being A Paul Mitchell Hair Stylist. Faking his own death, he leaves for America and fucks lots of old women before falling for a Palestinian hairdresser. Come to think of it I think Matt and Trey would have rejected that for being too far fetched.

Especially the Israel/Palestine stuff. Who the holy crap would have thought Adam 'The Waterboy' Sandler would be making a film that addressed one of the most important conflicts in the Middle East? Okay so he addresses it in a way that was somewhat better summarised by Australian comedian Tim Minchin in the song "If you don't eat pigs, and we don't eat pigs. Why not, not eat pigs together?". But still. The fact remains that he's had a go.

If all this talk of fighting over the Holy Land has you double taking the name of the review, never fear. Because if you're looking for fart, knob and hummus jokes they are all here in plentiful supply. In the last case there are enough hummus jokes for quite a few films. If you can take a film where the main joke is people from Israel like hummus. And Fizzly bublech. Apparently they also like Fizzly bublech too. The film doesn't say how much Israelis like Adam Sandler films though. I reckon they'd put them somewhere betwixt bacon and spam.

No comments: