Monday 25 February 2008

I Wish I Were an Oscar Winning Weener!

The 8oth Academy Awards has come and gone and all is pretty well right in the movie world. No Forrest Gump, Driving Miss Daisy or Moonstruck to make me retch up a lung. Instead as Jon Stewart deflty put it 'Does Hollywood need a hug?'. Many of the frontrunners being violent, intense and very un-Gump like. Which is a very, very good thing.

For the first time ever I'd managed to watch all the best pic noms, so could quite comfortably give an opinion and not feel like a fraud. The problem was I didn't give an opinion, except to pick what I thought would win (13 out of 24 isn't bad), because I would have been happy if any had of taken the big prize. In the end it was No Country that took the fairest share of the spoils. And fair enough too.

When Daniel Day Lewis won there was a certain amount of 'well, yeah' about it, as everyone loves a surprise. But everyone can just fuck off because he made that film in a way no other actor could and thats the point of the awards really. Diablo Cody picked up my favourite award (the one I will one day take home) for Juno and no complaints there. Best speeches went to the actresses, Tilda's funny and Marion's just the right side of overwhelmed.

My favourite winner though (mainly because I knew my girlfriend would be jumping up and down like a 6 year old after eating a months supply of sugar cane) was Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for Best Original song for Once. And the icing on the cake being Jon Stewart bringing Marketa back on when her speech was cut short. What a Guy. No one brings the relaxed nature or ribs the pomp of the academy as Jon. May he present all the ceremonies from here until the end of the Republican Party.

No comments: