Thursday 10 April 2008

Awake Review

For some time I've tried to like Hayden Christensen. I feel like I've put in a lot of time and effort and quite frankly I'm sick of having it thrown back in my face. When he was first chosen to play lil Annikins I for one did a solitary mexican wave. He looked the part and most importantly he wasn't James Van Der Beek or Billy from Neighbours. But the man is putting in no work in this relationship choosing duff movie after duff movie. I think I may have to call it a day.

The once Darth is Clay Beresford, a massively rich business man who has an overbearing and slightly Oedipussy mum (those are two words to put together if you want Freud calling), a forlorn fiancee in the shape of Jessica Alba and a rather dodgy ticker. When a replacement heart is found for the man, his best friend, Dr. Jack begins preping for surgery. As he's anaesthetized Clay realises that things aren't as they should be, especially when he can still feel the first incision. As he lies on the operating table taking in every cut he begins to learn some dark truths about his friends and family.

My opening berating of Hayden may be unfair when Jessica Alba puts in a performance of such ineptitude. She may be pretty, but for a sackful of Werthers Originals she couldn't flex an acting muscle. As for Terrence you better rock the shit out of Iron Man if your going to get a christmas card from me this year. Is it just me or do comments like that last one make me sound a little like a pissed off fanboy? I swore this website wouldn't go that way, but its late and I'm tired and this film has left me more than a little peeved.

The main reason for the peeved nature is that the film just doesn't go anywhere. And it certainly doesn't go there fast. Clocking in at well under 90 mins it feels like your under the knife for a much, much longer time. The twists and turns that are supposed to make it feel like a drive down a winding country lane are so boringly predictable that instead the viewer is made to feel as if they're being taken down a motorway thats in urgent need of repair. With a shit view. Pillfering horribly from a great movie like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind does it no favours either. The opposite of Awake is what I'd have been if this was ten minutes longer.

No comments: