Thursday 3 April 2008

Son Of Rambow Review

I'm getting old. I've found my first few grey hairs. I don't care for the band Foals much. I refuse to watch Skins because it looks too yoof. And now theres a nostalgic film being released about a time that I can almost remember. While the first Rambo was released the year I was born there is much about the era that rings a bell. But then this may be the biggest strength of the film, that the audience can relate to it whatever their age.

Will Proudfoot is a 10 year old kid with a rather unfortunate start to life being that he's brought up in a deeply religious household that doesn't allow t.v, films or fun of any kind really. Lee Carter is his opposite, a tearaway thats allowed free reign due to absent parents, who spends his days pirating copies of Rambo First Blood. When Lee bullies young Will into giving him a ride home, the church goer is introduced to Sly's Rambo, triggering an explosion of imagination and cocaine levels of enthusiasm. The two then set about making the titular Son Of Rambow, an epic sequel/remake made in their surrounding woods with a few quid for a budget.

Its a rare thing indeed to get a British movie that isn't doom and gloom with shot after shot of overcast skies and council houses looming in the foreground. Rarer still if it isn't written by Richard Curtis. Not only is British duo Hammer and Tongs second film (after Hitchhikers) rare, its also a rare treat. Funny, warm, knowing, clever, I'm not usually one to list adjectives but this is one that could run and run if the theasurus allowed.

The two leads, Bill Milner and Will Poulter, hold the film together in a way that would make some professionals blush. And its lovely to see Jessica Hynes doing well without the Spaced boys. I was beginning to feel very sorry for her, According to Bex, indeed. The cool French student subplot feels at times like padding but its funny enough to get away with it (The 'bird shooting bike ride' had me rolling on the floor but then I'm a sucker for offscreen action).
And I think I'll finish with some more superlatives, you know try and get myself a quote on the already crowded poster. Emotional, witty, charming, passionate...

No comments: